Monday, September 2

Passing Storms

I think I like storms.

I can say that now, sitting at the computer in the cozy, dry warmth of my home, looking out at the world all fresh and green and clean-smelling. The sun is reflecting its golden light off the water droplets which adorn everything in sight. The plants have all perked up, refreshed by the rain.

I can say that now that I see why the storm was necessary and good. But in the midst of the noise and chaos of the thunderstorm, I can't say that I always like storms. (Especially when they mess up my iPod so I can't hear my music)

Isn't it like that in our lives sometimes, though? When friends move away, when you can't have something you wanted, when you feel like you aren't doing anything right - these are our storms. It's hard to see through the initial pain how any good can come of it. But God brings these storms into our lives to bring us closer to Him and refine us, so we may come forth beautiful as gold in the end. When trials seem to come endlessly, that's when we need Christ the most.

This morning I was really worrying about something that came up suddenly. A little later I was being driven home from a friend's house (still with a heavy heart), and I wasn't really paying attention to the various conversations in the car, but the lady driving us said something about the weather and mentioned that it was "just a passing storm." That comment, though not aimed towards me or my situation, reminded me that God makes all things beautiful in His time, even if it takes a storm to do it.

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 1:25, "The foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men." It may not make any sense to us how we can make it through our storms or why they're there, but God knows, and past that, it doesn't really matter. We're just supposed to trust His promise that He would give us nothing in our lives that we can't overcome.

In Christ, we have nothing to fear from the passing storms of life, and we know that when they're over, we'll see the beauty that He realized all along.


3 comments:

  1. And even when the storm is scary, we have God's presence with us to give us comfort. Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the most beautiful post I've read from anybody in a looong time, Meredith! <3 I love your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete