Thursday, September 19

On Time

Time is a sneaky little imp, isn't she?

When I was four, I was sure that I'd never make it to the first graders' Sunday School class on the second floor.
When I was nine, I was convinced I would never see the day when I would turn ten and reach the glorious double-digits.
When I was in eighth grade, I knew that surely I would never actually get to high school. (I'm still mentally stuck in eighth grade, though. When people ask me what grade I'm in I'm like, "Uh....")
And now, here I am, a junior in high school, positive that graduation day will never come.

Compared to some people, I'm basically a baby. Despite that, fifteen years is long enough to have noticed a thing or two about time.

First, I've learned that time does fly when you're having fun. It may not always seem to be speeding along, but once the good times are through and you're back to plugging away at everyday necessaries, you realize just how short those good times are. Enjoy them while they last. Ecclesiastes 3 says this: "I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God."

Second is that time is a terrible schizophrenic. One moment she's slower than a herd of turtles slogging through peanut butter, and the next she's charging ahead at blinding speed. Who even knows what time is? Is she a sunset? Or a walk on the beach? Maybe even a batch of cookies? Can she even be truly, accurately quantified? Time is similar to the verse in James that says that life is a vapour. It appears for a short time, and then vanishes.

The third thing I've learned is that giving a situation time and waiting on the Lord can do monumental things. I know that my natural desire when something is going wrong is for control. But I don't have any clue what I'm doing. That would be like me trying to grab the steering wheel from my mom while we're driving. She's been driving for thirty years, and goodness knows she drives me all up and down creation. I have no reason not to trust her to do it right. Why in the world would we try to take the steering wheel from our omnipotent God? We need to just calm down, give our situation to God, and trust His judgment and timing. Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." And again in Ecclesiastes, "He hath made every thing beautiful in his time."

I don't claim to know much of anything, and these are just my personal observations and thoughts stemming from those observations. I may be way off-target, and that's okay. I have plenty of time to figure out the great mystery that is time.

1 comment:

  1. I've been driving for 30 years??!! Oh, that makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete