Friday, February 14

Valentine's Day Verse

Ah, spring - when ten year old girls' fancy turns to thoughts of love. Today is Valentine's Day, a day to celebrate all the people we love. And I'm happy because I have a wonderful Mr. Darcy quote for this post.

"I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love."

My little sister is an aspiring poet. Or at least, she wrote a few poems yesterday. And since "roses are red" is kind of an iconic cheesy love poem (albeit a super lame one), I thought it was entirely appropriate that it was, evidently, her inspiration.

And since it's Valentine's Day, I figured I would share her beautiful poetry with you. It is truly amazing and achieves a literary depth that is absolutely unprecedented.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Flowers are nice
And so are you.

That one was relatively safe. Although I must say, being told that I'm "nice" wouldn't be quite as heart-fluttering as the next one...

Roses are red,
Violets are red,
Trees are red -
Your garden's on fire.

That would definitely get my heart beating a little faster.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Your boyfriend's red
And you are blue.
He is blushing,
You're holding your breath.
He hands you a ring!
Now you are pink. :)

Not gonna lie, I had to read that one a few times before I understood it. Fortunately, the author was not difficult to contact and was quite helpful. Apparently in line 4, "And you are blue," you are blue because you're holding your breath. 
You must have been holding your breath a very long time waiting for that ring.
Also, I thought the smiley face was an interesting literary device.
And finally, my personal favorite.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
I'm holding a stapler,
You're holding your finger.

If you guys are struggling to figure out what to say to your valentine today (although based off of what I've seen on various social media sites so far, pretty much nobody has one), I would recommend one of these beautiful verses. They're sure to win the heart of any dashing gentleman or comely lady. Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like we have two "clever girls" living at our house! That ring poem still has me laughing! This was fun to read - a morsel of meat in the midst of a lot of sugar today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Meredith! You keep me laughing! XD

    ReplyDelete