I think that generally I would be classified as a music nerd. After ten years of piano lessons, the last few of which have been with the most amazing teacher I could have, music has become a huge part of my life. Honestly until I had to go without it for a few days I didn't really realize how important it is to me.
I don't like to practice the piano very much, as you probably know, and those of you who do know me probably could guess that.
I have attention deficit hyperactivity dis - OOH SHINY!!
But I actually missed practicing when I didn't have a piano at my disposal 24/7.
So yeah. But let's see if you too are a music nerd.
YOU MIGHT BE A MUSIC NERD IF...
- If you know the proper way to pronounce Chopin's name.
- If you can name more than five composers besides Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach without batting an eye.
- If one of your favorite games is Guess the Composer.
- If you know that one does not simply leave a piano unplayed.
- If you hear wrong notes in Sviatoslav Teofilovich Richter's performance of Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto.
- If you've ever heard of Shostakovich, Scarlatti, Cimarosa, Kabalevsky, or MacDowell.
- If you practice chromatic scales just because they're fun.
- If you recognize the importance of warming up before performing.
- If you can tell that a piano is out of tune.
- If you like to guess what note random sounds you hear are hitting.
- If you know that Beethoven was considered the last composer of the Classical era and the first composer of the Romantic era.
- If you know NEVER to clap in between movements.
- If you're nodding your head and smiling right now, you might be a music nerd.
If you too are a music nerd, hold your head up high and be proud.