Thursday, November 15

Wait for it...wait for it...wai - BAM!



We switched sports at PE again, and you all know what that means - BLOG POST!
This month we're playing kickball. 
I'll be completely honest and say that I think kickball is a juvenile sport.
...
So yeah, I love it.
Anyways, even though I am by no means a perfect kickballer, and really not even very good, here's some things that I have learned in my many years of playing kickball. (Don't laugh, I've been at it since I was nine.)

Just because you were the best kickballer in the 8-12 year old group does NOT mean you will be ANY good in the teenagers group. 
Sorry, this really can't be helped. I was pretty much a kickball legend at PE when I was younger. Turns out, it's easier to be a legend when you're at the top of your group than the bottom. When I first started playing in the teens group, it was a smack in the face. I was probably the worst kickballer there. Which, when you have such a big group, is saying something. Fortunately, over the...um...year, I have gotten better, and I'm not the worst anymore. Just wait - it'll probably all come out okay.

Harder is not always better.
Kickball might seem easy. You kick the ball when it rolls to you and you run.
But no. Kickball is actually a game of strategy, to some extent. (most games are) Oftentimes when you kick the ball as hard as you can, all it will do is fly up...and yes, it may go far, and yes, sometimes it will work out okay. But there's a good chance that you will be caught out. So look for a hole in the outfield's defense and aim for it.

Pay attention.
Please please please...no getting hit in the face, or tackled, or yelled at for missing a ball, or getting out cuz you forgot to run...please.

Catch the ball.
This is the best way to catch a kickball.
Don't try to grab the ball...your chances of getting the ball in your possession are greatly decreased with this attempt.
Also, remember that it's easier to run forward than backward. Back up maybe a little farther than is completely necessary, because you never know how someone will kick.
And play backup. Don't always be leaving your position, but if it's a particularly hard catch and you don't know the person will get it, run over behind them just to be sure. Better safe than sorry. :)
(Also, this is my 300th post! Yay! *streamers, confetti, lame party sounds* Okay, I'm done.)

2 comments:

  1. That was nice advice; I hope I remember it all...

    I liked your lame party sounds. :) It really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're better at it than I am!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete