Saturday, May 9

Sunset musings

My family and I were out running some errands late this afternoon, and at various points all throughout the time we spent driving from place to place I was commenting about how I thought the sunset was going to be pretty tonight. We started heading home and the sun started to set, and I continued making comments about the sunset to come. As often happens when watching pretty skies, as the sky grew prettier, I grew quieter and became pensive. In other words, I started thinking thoughtful thinks.

So now here I am - still peeking out the window every five seconds so as not to miss the beauty of the sky outside - to share those thoughts. (Sunset musings, if you will.)

I've been an avid sunset-chaser for about three years now. My mom has grown accustomed to receiving frantic texts from me as the day starts to draw to an end.

"MOM WE HAVE TO GET TO THE PIER RIGHT NOW TO CATCH THE SUNSET"



"WE SHOULD DRIVE OUT TO THE BEACH TONIGHT TO CATCH THE SUNSET"


"LET'S GO ON A WALK AND CATCH THE SUNSET"


And even though I have various favorite spots around town that I think are especially nice places to enjoy a beautiful Pensacola sunset, when all else fails, I always have my tried and true fallback - the backyard.

Desperate times, folks. Desperate times.
Sunsets are pretty much my favorite thing. Or at least they're very high on the list (perhaps underneath Captain Wentworth and Dunkin Donuts).

As I watch the sunset tonight though, I am reminded of this thought from Hebrews 13: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

One of the lessons I've learned over my high school years - which end in a week - EEEEP!! I digress... 

One of the lessons I've learned over my high school years is that people come and go, sometimes very unexpectedly. I've been thinking a lot about this as my friendships have changed over the last year especially.

I singled out one thought from many a moment ago as I was watching the beautiful sky, thinking about how many beautiful skies I must have seen in three years of sunset-chasing, thinking of all the different people that I've shared sunsets with, wondering who is in my future to share sunsets with...

No matter who I'm watching the sunset with, the sunset itself will never change.

No matter how much my life may change, or how many people come into my life or leave it, God will always be with me.

God sent the rainbow to Noah as a symbol of His promise.

In the same way, the sunset to me is a daily reminder of God's steadfast love. (And it just so happens to be a beautiful pink reminder - I can't complain!)

As I write these thoughts down, I remember how much I struggled through the last ten months or so, sometimes feeling like there was nothing in my life to be happy about. Even during those times, the sun continued to set in all its beauty and glory and God's love was all around me every day, sometimes the only tiny bit of beauty and pleasantness I could find. (I was a bit melodramatic, so sue me.)

I will sing of the steadfast love of the Lord, forever; with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations. For I said, "Steadfast love will be built up forever; in the heavens you will establish your faithfulness." (Psalm 89:1-2)

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

PS: I hope you all saw the sunset tonight; it was glorious. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment