Thursday, January 2

New Year's Resolutions

Well guys, it's 2014. And as you all know, in with the new year flood a plethora of New Year's resolutions. 
I suppose it makes sense; that when you start a new year you get a clean slate, so to speak. (Although really, other than a sort of symbolic switching of the calendars, nothing really changes so drastically as to actually erase all the nastiness of the past year) True, you are presented with 365 new days, in which you can do anything you choose. (Unless you have no life like me and you'll be spending all your time on schoolwork. But my time will come...) 
Some people resolve to read more books, or work harder, or lose weight, or eat healthier, or to perform random acts of kindness. And there's nothing wrong with that.
But personally, I dislike New Year's resolutions.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with them. For some people, they're great. But for an undisciplined, immature child like me - they just don't work.
Last year I caved to peer pressure. "Meredith, you have to have a New Year's resolution!" (Yeah, I'm a sucker for "Meredith, you have to") I resolved to get more sleep. That didn't last a week.
Anybody who has ever heard me talk about how my piano practice has been going has undoubtedly picked up on the fact that I just tend to be an extremely undisciplined person. I know that. I'm working on that.
But WHAT am I going to do about New Year's resolutions???
I always break them, but I want to become a better person, but I know that it won't last more than a month, but it's a new year and I have a fresh start, but it's a waste of time, but I "have to!"
I must abandon hope. I shall be resolution-less forever.
But this morning, I had a thought while I was reading my Bible. Romans chapter twelve says, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." According to Strong's concordance, the biblical use of "the renewing of your mind" refers to "a renewal, renovation, complete change for the better." 
That sounded pretty good to me. This year, I'm not making specific resolutions that I know I'm going to pay no mind. I'm just going to continue doing what I already do: seeking God's guidance and relying on Him to give me what I need for each day. Everything I need is found in Him.
And think about this if you like the whole "clean slate" thing. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9) "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24) 
I'm not saying anything against New Year's resolutions. I'm just not strong enough for them. So this year, I choose to better myself with God, because His strength is perfect when ours is gone.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way you do about New Year's resolutions! But there is hope for us: "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." (Lam. 3:22-23) In our own strength, we can do nothing (though we may resolve to always try harder); there is hope in realizing that our strength comes from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily agree with you about New Year's resolutions!!! We can do nothing with God's strength.
    ps... check out my "new-non-private" blog! :) http://delightinjoy.wordpress.com/

    Happy New Year Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually make New Year's resolutions either, but I do try to better myself. I love how when you're going through something, God seems to lead you to the perfect Bible verse. Joanna had that happen, and it really got her back on her feet.
    Thanks for always having something encouraging to say.

    ReplyDelete